Free online Current account and a debit Visa card with cash back rewards
Updated: Oct 06, 2022
The Current offers a Visa debit card for parents to help them gain more control over their children's accounts and teach them about responsible spending and financial behavior. The Current Visa debit card allows the parents to add child accounts to their main card account. The cardholder can earn up to 15x points when using the card. Parents decide how the card is used. They can set up alerts, restrict and monitor spending, use different features to set the amount their children are allowed to spend, and more.
at Current's Secured websiteApply Now
Recommended Credit Score
- Current offers accounts for everyone, including teens.
- Members receive instant spending notifications every time they swipe your card for added security.
- Members can instantly send money for free to friends and family with Current Pay.
- Current lets you add cash to your account at over 60,000 stores just by having a cashier scan a barcode.
- Member funds are insured up to $250,000. Deposits are insured through Current's partner bank, Choice Financial Group, Member FDIC.
The Current Visa debit card comes with an Online Banking account and offers Classic and Teens targeted debit cards. Current accounts are FDIC insured and have free overdraft protection. Once you make a direct deposit of $200 or more from your employer you at once start earning rewards. The Current is best for:
- People looking for low fee Visa debit cards that are easy to apply and get approved;
- Parents with several teens who can’t get a joint account and need a financial tool to help their children learn money management;
- Parents wanting to monitor the spending of their teens help them manage their income and allowance.
Current Visa Debit Advantages
The Current Visa Debit Card offers a fantastic range of benefits.
- Cash Back Rewards. Earn up to 15x points with each purchase and scan all merchants in your vicinity to see how many points they offer you.
- Real-Time Alerts & Notifications. Track and monitor spending and card usage on the main and child’s accounts and get notified on each transaction and how much balance the card has left.
- Set Savings Goals. The Current Visa Debit Card offers the Savings Pod feature that allows the cardholder to set up another savings account for storing funds based on a round-up method. Each transaction will be round up to the nearest dollar, automatically saving the difference by depositing it into the additional savings account.
- Strong Security. Parents can lock and unlock their cards whenever needed. Each card and account has its own login credentials, and the teen’s account can never access the main account information. Finally, there is also additional protection via Visa’s fraud liability program.
- No Hidden Fees. The Current Visa Debit Card has no hidden fees to worry about.
- Gas Hold Refunds. Most gas stations put a hold on your card when you use it to buy gas. Current will refund the hold, allowing you access to your full balance at all times.
- Mobile Check Deposit. Use the Current App to deposit a check.
- Early Payment. Current allows owners of a Premium account to get their direct deposits two days earlier than traditional banking institutions.
- Free ATMs. Current has access to more than 50,000 in-network ATMs with no fees.
- Overdraft Protection. Owners of a Premium account also get overdraft protection up to $200.
- 3 Plans. Current offers three debit card plans for adults, teens, and youth.
Available Current Plans
|PLAN 1||Teen Banking||Teen and Parents account chore/allowance set up tools, spending limitations, alerts, etc||Visa Debit||$0|
|PLAN 2||Personal Checking||A no-fee account with fewer features and reward points||Visa Debit||$4.99 / month|
|PLAN 3||Premium Checking||An upgraded account with a monthly fee, overdraft protection, and more.||Visa Debit||$4.99+ / month|
Just like any other debit card, the Current Visa Debit Card has some disadvantages:
- Account limitations include maximum daily ATM withdrawal, maximum transaction amount, and maximum daily purchases;
- Monthly and annual fees;
- International transaction fees;
- International ATM fee;
- Paper statements charges;
- Replacement card fee;
- The card is only available to U.S. residents.
What Makes It Different
With the Current Visa Debit Card, you’ll have access to more than 60,000 stores for cash deposits and over 55,000 in-network ATMs. The Current offers the Current app that allows you to monitor your spending and get 24/7 customer support. Thanks to its advanced features, the card offers parental control, real-time notifications, block merchants, spending limits, and instant fund transfers. The card also has a chore feature that allows parents to set up chores for their kids and pay an allowance to the card when chores are completed. Aside from early payments and no overdraft fees, what makes the Current Visa Card stand out is the Savings Pod feature for adding the savings account to the main parent account.
The Current Debit Card is a perfect way to teach your teens about the importance of responsible spending and financial behavior. The card offers a wide range of fantastic features at reasonable monthly and annual fees. Although there are additional fees to consider and some limitations, the card offers quite a few perks for parents who need to control their children’s spending habits. However, the only way to get all the features is to upgrade to premium.
- Other kids cards you may want to check: GoHenry Mastercard, BusyKid Visa, FamZoo Mastercard, Till Financial Visa, and Greenlight Mastercard.
- Comparisons: Current vs Extra, Greenlight vs Current
Current Visa Debit Card Competition
- Extra Debit Mastercard
- ACE Flare Visa Debit Card
- Stilt Debit Mastercard
- Sable Debit Mastercard
- Porte Visa Debit Card
Frequently Asked Questions
|Category:||Consumer (Stored Value)|
|Best Used For:||
Rec. Credit Score