The Bank of Missouri is a credit card issuer that specializes in commercial lending. It offers SBA loans, business term loans, investment solutions, lines of credit, and more. It also offers personal finance products such as credit cards for anyone who wishes to build or improve their credit. Established back in 1891, The Bank has been growing steadily for over a century and now operates more than 35 US branches. Its corporate headquarters are located in Perryville, Missouri. Apart from being a community bank, it’s also a state charter and Fed nonmember supervised by the FDIC. Every quarter since December 2011, The Bank of Missouri has received a 5-star rating from BauerFinancial, Inc., an independent financial rating agency.
Missouri Bank Financial Products
The Bank of Missouri offers both commercial and personal finance products. Some of its financial products include:
- Credit cards
- Debit cards
- Business loans
- SBA loans
- Business management solutions
- Investments and retirement planning services
- Online banking
- Home mortgage loans
Types of Cards Offered at The Bank of Missouri
The Bank of Missouri issues VISA® cards and Mastercard® credit cards. Both are exceptional credit card networks used all over the world. Every place that accepts credit cards accepts Mastercard and VISA, so you will be able to make a purchase anywhere in the world. Both of these networks provide some excellent perks to their cardholders. Depending on the card, some of the most notable perks you can enjoy include:
- Zero fraud liability
- ID theft protection (Check Offers)
- Purchase protection
- Emergency card replacement/ reimbursement.
Although each network has its own benefits and rewards, the primary perks will depend on the credit card issuer. This is also why it’s vital to compare various issuers first and not dwell too much on the network. Also, not every bank will offer the same perks offered by these networks, so make sure you check with the bank to understand exactly what it will offer you.
The Bank of Missouri Credit Cards for Poor Credit
If you have a poor credit score, you can improve it with a credit card from The Bank of Missouri. Its credit cards are actually designed for people with poor credit. Even if you have no credit history to start with, you can build it from scratch with these cards. The Bank of Missouri issues the following credit cards for poor credit:
- Total VISA Card
- Total VISA Credit Card (Pets)
- First Access VISA Card
- FIT MasterCard Card
- Milestone Mastercard
- Fortiva Mastercard
- Matrix Mastercard (Also was available as Matrix Secured by Discover and Matrix Unsecured by Discover cards)
- Verve Mastercard
Each comes with its own set of features and requirements. A credit score range of 300-640 is preferable for these cards, but you can apply for each of them even with no prior credit history. These are unsecured credit cards, which means you don’t have to put down a security deposit to open your account. That’s one of the requirements for secured credit cards, although they require a refundable deposit.
RELATED: Secured Cards Explained
However, it also means that you’ll face higher rates and fees than you would with secured cards. This is simply because the bank doesn’t have a deposit to fall back on if you fail to provide on-time, full payments. The lower your credit score is the higher your fees will be, and vice versa. Not putting down a security deposit also prevents you from having control over your credit limit, because the deposit usually equals the limit you get with secured cards.
Unsecured cards can give you a fixed credit limit or allow you to increase it after a specific period of time. This is something you need to check with The Bank of Missouri directly. They’ll provide you with all the information about whether or not you can increase your credit limit and the necessary requirements that you may be able to meet. High fees and credit limitations are some of the most important reasons why many people with a poor credit score prefer secured to unsecured cards. But if you decide to apply for an unsecured card with The Bank of Missouri, you still might be able to build or rebuild your credit, as long as you use your card responsibly.
RELATED: Fixing & Protecting Your Credit
This means paying off your balance in full and on time every month and keeping your credit utilization ratio below 30%. The Bank of Missouri reports monthly to all three major credit bureaus: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. If it regularly reports your responsible cardholder behavior, you will quickly see an improvement in your credit score.
What are Bank of Missouri Card Application Requirements?
If you want to apply for any of The Bank of Missouri credit cards to build or improve your credit score, you’ll be happy to know the application requirements are quite lenient. They include the following:
- You must be of legal age (18+, or 19+ if you live in Alabama)
- US resident with a valid, current address
- You must have an active checking account
Applying for a credit card with The Bank of Missouri is a very simple and quick process. You don’t even need to go to the nearest branch to submit the necessary paperwork, as you can easily apply online. Some of the information you need to provide includes:
- Your name
- Date of birth
- A valid current US address
- Your Social Security number
- Email and phone number
- Annual income
- Employment information
As soon as you fill out the online form, you’ll know whether or not your application is approved. The Bank of Missouri sends its response in just a matter of seconds. This doesn’t mean that it offers instant decision credit cards. It simply notifies you instantly of your approval status. You can even pre-qualify for a Bank of Missouri’s credit card. For instance, the Milestone Mastercard allows you to pre-qualify when filling out your online application. This is very useful because it won’t take points off your credit score. If the bank denies your application, be sure to give them a call to find out what went wrong. Perhaps you’ve completely forgotten about some unpaid debt. Or maybe your credit report actually contains an error that you can easily fix.
The Bank of Missouri Cards Advantages
Holding a credit card from The Bank of Missouri comes with several useful advantages.
- Low Application Requirements. Almost anyone can get approved for The Bank of Missouri’s credit cards, as they’re designed for consumers with a poor credit score or no credit history at all.
- No Security Deposit. You don’t have to put down a security deposit for any of the bank’s unsecured credit cards.
- Building or Rebuilding Credit. You can quickly get your finances in order with the bank’s credit cards, as they report monthly to all three major credit bureaus.
The Bank of Missouri Cards Disadvantages
Besides the benefits, there are some drawbacks you should consider before applying for a credit card with The Bank of Missouri.
- Low Credit Limit. The Bank of Missouri offers a very low credit limit. When you pay all the hefty fees, you’re left with quite less money than you may have expected.
- High Rates and Fees. Interest rates and fees are sky-high with this bank. From account processing fees to annual fees and monthly service charges, you can end up paying quite a lot of money just to keep your account active. If you can afford all the fees and make sure you’re never late with your payments, then a card from The Bank of Missouri might be a good option for you. After all, the primary reason you would use it is to raise your credit score and get your finances in order.
- Usage Limitations. Some credit cards issued by The Bank of Missouri don’t allow foreign transactions, which means that you can only use them within the US borders. Others allow foreign purchases but can incur high foreign transaction fees. If you plan on using your new card while traveling abroad or to pay for foreign merchant purchases online, make sure you choose a card that allows you to do so. Make sure you always notify the bank beforehand, so that you don’t risk your card getting declined.
How to Contact Bank of Missouri Customer Service?
Toll-Free Number: 888-547-6541
Corporate Headquarters: 573-547-6541, 573-547-6552, 573-874-4900 (Investments & Retirement Planning)
Fax Number: 573-547-7557
Online Contact Form: click here
Corporate Office Address: 916 North Kingshighway, Perryville, Missouri 63775
Hours of Operation:
Lobby: MON-WED 8 AM-4 PM, THU-FRI 8 AM-5 PM, SAT 8 AM-12 PM
Drive-Up: MON-WED 7:30 AM-4 PM, THU-FRI 7:30 AM-5:30 PM, SAT 7:30 AM-12 PM
Expanded Customer Support Hours: MON-FRI 8 AM-11 PM, SAT 8 AM-5 PM, SUN 9 AM-5 PM
Holidays: 9 AM-5 PM (closed Thanksgiving and Christmas)
The Bank of Missouri is a trustworthy community bank that offers very lenient approval requirements and generally favorable terms and conditions. Its reliable credit cards can help anyone with poor credit quickly improve their credit score or establish it from scratch. However, before committing to a contract, make sure you research other banks as well. That way, you can make an informed decision and rest assured knowing you’ve found the right issuer for your needs.