The H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard is a great prepaid card issued by H&R Block for everyday spending, offering a fee-free experience and an easy way of cashing in those tax refund checks. While it may not have as many features as some other cards in the same category, this Mastercard comes with convenient account management. You can check your balance on the go via a smartphone app.
Your cash is secured by FDIC and Mastercard Liability policy insurance. If you need a quick and convenient way to cash in your checks without paying fees, this card is definitely worth considering.
Who Is H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard For?
Emerald Prepaid Mastercard is a perfect option for people looking for a convenient way to cash in tax refunds checks and make money via cashback. Emerald Prepaid Mastercard from H&R Block will help you avoid paying the check-cashing fees and facilitate cashing in. You can directly deposit your payroll, government, or unemployment benefits and get instant access to your cash.
Enjoying perks always come at some cost. Not with this card. There are no monthly or purchase fees. You can even transfer your cash to the card from your bank account or direct deposit your tax refund and paycheck without paying any fees. H&R Block offers a mobile app to both Android and Apple users to enable them to get insight into their credit card statements. Log in anytime and check your balance on the go.
What are H&R Block Emerald Mastercard Benefits?
- Emerald Prepaid Mastercard offers a hassle-free way to cash in your checks without paying any fees.
- Account management can be a real hassle when you have to do it on a PC through a web browser. H&R Block supports this Mastercard with the MyBlock mobile app. The app is available on Google Play Store and Apple App Store. This app enables consumers to manage their Emerald Card when and where they want. Consumers can pay bills, view transactions, and check card account balance, as long as they have access to the internet.
- Carrying this credit card around with you is definitely safer than carrying cash, as your funds on the Emerald prepaid account are insured by the FDIC. Even if your credit card gets stolen, you’ll be able to get your cash back. On top of that, consumers have an active Mastercard Zero Liability insurance policy, which protects them from theft, fraud, and unauthorized purchases.
- Adding cash to Emerald Prepaid Mastercard is as easy as spending it. You can add cash, checks, government benefits, or your payroll whenever you want. There are no check-cashing fees nor any other hidden fees. If you choose the “Funds in Minutes” service via MyBlock mobile app, though, you will have to pay a fee. “Funds in Days” service is free of charge.
- This credit card has no monthly fee or purchase fees. You can use it year-round without having to worry about paying any fees. You can transfer money to the card from your checking or savings account free of charge as well. Direct deposits of your paycheck and tax refund are fee-free too.
What are H&R Block Emerald Card Disadvantages?
While it has a few strongpoints, this card carries a few disadvantages with it. Make sure you learn more before making your final decision. Withdrawing money from ATMs in and out of the H&R Block network comes at a cost. Every time you withdraw cash, you will be charged with a $3 fee. Even if you make an ATM balance inquiry, you will be charged with a $1.5 fee.
A bill pay service is very convenient and attractive as it allows you to pay your bills on the go with this card. If you decide to use it, you will have to pay a fee for each bill that you pay. The fee is small, only $.95, but it can pile up if you use this card to pay all your monthly bills. With this card, you can also withdraw cash from a teller. However, it doesn’t pay off at all because the Emerald card will charge you a whopping $25 fee.
Should You Use This Card?
This card is the best option for people that are already using H&R Block tax preparation software and service. It does come with a few convenient perks and no monthly and purchase fee, but compared to other similar cards on the market, it comes with too few features.
- Up to 35% H&R Block Discount
- No monthly and purchase fee
- Directly add tax refund checks, payroll or other government benefits hassle-free
- Convenient account management via MyBlock mobile app
- No Card Loading Fee
- Inactivity fee (after 3 months)
- High ATM fees
- High withdrawal at teller fee
- Minimal features
H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Card FAQ